Tuesday, October 12, 2010

To engineer, or not to engineer? That is the question.





Many bioethicists in the field are concerned with this question of modern science. Should we further our research into genetic engineering or not? Is it too expensive? Is it too dangerous to humans to provide any real benefit? Does this dehumanize us, turning us into mere machines? Is this just our chance to play God? So many other questions and concerns have been raised about the ethics of genetic engineering and gene therapy. If I had to take a stance, I would argue that gene therapy has some benefits, but the cost to human lives is too great to outweigh the benefits.
My first concern with gene therapy comes from what I read in the article I cited previously. Most, if not all testing has to be done on human beings in a clinical trial, because testing different "vectors" as they are called in animals has different effects than it would on humans. Viruses react differently in humans than any other animal, therefore tests can only be done on humans to ensure safety and success. The times tests have been done on animals and then transfered over to humans has proved fatal or debilitating. This raises an ethical question in my mind of who, then, we choose to be patients in a clinical test? Do we choose the terminally ill, that we already know are going to die? Or do we choose younger, healthier patients that then risk developing a toxic reaction to the therapy? This is a very difficult question, one that logically leads me to conclude that if gene therapy is so dangerous, (which it has been proven to be), then we should avoid playing God and not mess with our genetic code at all.
However, those who are less inclined to believe there is a God would argue that there is so much potential benefit in genetic engineering, that those who are willing to sacrifice their health for the development of research should be applauded and allowed to do what they want. While I agree with this--that people should be allowed to do what they want to do--there is something deeper within in me that says we shouldn't alter our genetic code, or manufacture babies. My feelings are a product of my upbringing and faith in God, which I acknowledge make me very biased and subjective. However, this is what the field of bioethics is all about. Dr. John Polkinghouse--who I spoke of in a previous post--is also a reverend in his community. As I discussed earlier, most of the leading researchers in the field of bioethics are from a variety of different backgrounds and faiths, creating a community of scholars that are unapologetic about their opinion and viewpoint. This community of sharing personal concerns and opinions about the ethics of medical advancement is essentially what bioethics is all about. With many opinions and sentiments being expressed, the nation and world as a whole can come to a more well-informed consensus as to what should occur in the case of genetic engineering.
My last concern that I would like to express about gene therapy is an argument that Neil Postman would most likely agree with. With increased technological development, my fear is that we would become too dependent on the technology, and let it shape our world. True humanity may cease to exist if all we have to do is order this set of genes here, and that set of genes there to create the perfect child or perfect human. The pains and struggles and trials of life that help us to grow and understand the contrary, joy, would also cease to exist. I think it would be a lost and numb world if our humanity, or realness were stripped from us. Possibly an extreme example, but good one nonetheless, comes from the movie Surrogates. In this movie, the real humans live in a completely manufactured world where they never leave their house, but instead tap into the mind of a robot surrogate to live their life. While the real human wastes away at home, forgetting what reality is like, the surrogate goes on living and experiencing everything for them. This extreme example might help to illustrate what would happen if genetic therapy could solve all of our health problems and physical imperfections. We would become numb to reality and not remember how to experience true joy or pain.
What the future of genetic engineering and therapy is, I can't rightly guess. But I do know that with the voices and opinions of many bioethicists, a well-rounded view of the pros and cons can be presented and the right decisions made.

No comments:

Post a Comment